Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Conundrum, Conundrum


Thought I had it figured out with getting the Panasonic DMC LX100 to replace the Samsung. Then I started reading about the Panasonic GX8 or GX85, both of which are a little larger than the Samsung but still in the ball park as a possible replacement. Both are also a 4/3 so it has interchangeable lenses and I could use the lenses I have for the Olympus with it. That would mean that it could replace the Samsung and the Olympus for less than half the price of buying separate replacements.
I really like the ‘manual’ set up on the LX100. It is very much like using a film body with separate visible controls for aperture, shutter speed—the good old days as I remember them. The manual on the GX8 is pretty similar but more digital design—front ring for aperture and rear ring for shutter. Both are very usable without excessive menu use which with us old folks is always a plus. The menus on the Nikons are buried so many levels deep and I use some features so infrequently and then there are some that I do use frequently but seldom change that when I want to change can’t remember where to go. I waste a lot of time with menus.
Does anyone out there have experience with either of these two Panasonic cameras?
Conundum, Conundrum


1 comment:

  1. I have taken over 100,000 photographs with the Panasonic LX100. Recently I have been thinking of the GX8 and the GX80/85 as possible replacements. This is because my LX100 suffers from the dust problem caused by dust getting inside the lens unit. Here is how the problem looks like now, but more dust creeps in all the time:

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/jiihaa/26563284054/in/datetaken-public/

    After thinking about this for a while I realized that the LX100 controls and the lens offer for me a much better "system" that either the GX8 or the GX80/85 with any lens combination.

    If the dust problem gets much worse, I'll get a new LX100 (the price is rather attractive already). Otherwise, I wait for the LX200 if it ever appears. Having the LX100 repaired does not feel feasible because the dust problem is not the only sign of wear and tear.

    ReplyDelete